Sunday, October 18, 2009

Clowing Around Kowloon & The Avenue of Stars

Again...this is Emily writing in for Moe for all the Hong Kong entries :)I HEART HONG KONG!~~



Why did we choose Hong Kong for our first overseas destination?



It was because Moe and I absolutely have no idea where to go. My aunt told me that she had ALWAYS wanted to go to Hong Kong but all of her friends has already been there. Eventhough she yearns to go to Hong Kong, she didn't want to travel alone.


It was a wish of hers that has been kept for over 30 years.


"Why not we go with you?" I blurted out when we had a conversation in my kitchen.


It was a half-hearted promise. But my aunt really went all out organizing the vacation--from air tickets to accomodation for three.


I can't exactly back down now, can I? Plus, her wish is like older than me. It would be really mean of me to chalk this on up as an April Fool's joke.





So six months after that impromptu decision, here we are.




By now, we were ready to discover what Kowloon has to offer. I already know Hong Kong by heart even before we stepped our foot here. I read all blogs about Hong Kong, bought a guide book about Hong Kong and read it as though i had to take a test to be a tourist guide.


So it's only apt that i lead the troop.


Kowloon reminded me way too much of Petaling Street. So we took the shuttle bus provided by our (Metropoark Kowloon) hotel to Tsim Tsa Tsui (TST).


I wanted to go to The Avenue of Stars and snap a photo with the famed bronze statue of Bruce Lee. I want to see with my own eyes the Hong Kong's version of Hollywood Walk of Fame. I want to see the skyscrapers of Hong Kong Island on the other side. I want to experience the Hong Kong I see through Jackie Chan's movie when i was little.

The first glimpse of Tsim Tsa Tsui....i can't wait to see the Hong Kong island from the Avenue of Stars.




After a fifteen minute shuttle bus ride, we arrived at the Avenue of Stars, TST. Moe and I were totally in awe with the larger than life skyscrapers of Hong Kong island.


So the first activity we did was to clown around at the Avenue of Stars and admiring the breathtaking scenary of Hong Kong island, with the Star Ferry (or Tin Seng Mah Tau in Cantonese :D) ferrying people back and forth from Kowloon peninsular to the Hong Kong island.

Hong Kong Island--where all the rich and famous resides. More on that later.


I love this shot of Moe. Too bad my camera is too old school.

It was a really hazy day. Not my camera's fault.

Say 'hello' to Mr. Lee. He is the most famous Chinese in the world.


I think Moe took too long to film this shot that the director and the camera man froze from boredom.

"Whaaatttttt????"

Orang Ipoh kita, Michelle Yeoh.



So this is how you test the boom mic....

First directorial debut of Moe Nasrul.



A little backgrounder about the Avenue of Stars, it is located at the Tsim Tsa Tsui Promenade, Salisbury Road and was officiated in 2004 to pay tribute to outstanding professionals of Hong Kong's film industry. It serves as a landmark for Hong Kong movies aficianados to visit. It is an appropriate gesture to model Hollywood's Walk of Fame since Hong Kong's greatest export is their movies, TV series, and music.


The Avenue of Stars is easily accessible via public transport. The easiest way is by MTR. Just get down at the Nathan Road station. You know you are at the right place when you see Renaissance Kowloon and the New World building.

Other places of interest to visit that is of walking distance are:


1. H.K Museum of Art
2. H.K Space Museum
3. H.K Cultural Centre
4. Peninsula Hotel
5. Star Ferry Pier

Click on the image to enlarge the map.

More on all this in the next update. For more information about the Avenue of Stars, refer to
Avenue of Stars website.


Moe Nasrul's Facebook profile

No comments: